Friday, June 18, 2010

Blog is Back in Business

So, as you can see, this is my first blog post in over a month. In that month a fair amount has happened: I presented 20 minutes of "Theatre of Blood" (the musical I've been developing in the BMI Workshop for the last year), I performed in a show at the Red Room, I started a website (www.bixbettwy.com), and I've been very busy with tutoring leading up to the final standardized tests of the school year.

There's a lot to discuss, but I want to focus on a new project of mine in this blog post: I've decided to start a theatre company.

Now, I am not known for having excellent organizational skills or good business sense, so maybe this is incredibly foolhardy ... but I'm very determined to make it happen, and I feel like I have a lot of good people interested in getting on board.

The first time I ever thought about doing this was a few months ago. I was watching an interview with one of the creators and stars of "Always Sunny in Philadelphia" ... the interviewer asked him to give advice to young people starting out in the industry, and he recommended writing and producing your own material (Always Sunny started as a homemade demo/pilot).

After 2 years in New York, the obvious has been made even more obvious to me: acting is hard. Work is hard to get. So, why not make your own work? Not to mention that, as I have found out through BMI, making your own work is generally more rewarding than working for other people.

Suggestions for company names?

No comments:

Post a Comment