Monday, March 1, 2010

PROJECT 1: Piano - Invention #8 by Bach

Ok, so I have something of a dilemma. How well do I have to be able to play each song before moving on to the next one?

For example, when I sat down to record Invention #8, it took me about 35 minutes to get a solid take (and even then, there are a couple small mistakes in the final product). Part of that is attributable to the recording process (nerves, striving for perfection, etc), but the piece is certainly not at "performance-quality" yet. However, I did get a good take. So, am I done? At least for this piece I'm inclined to say that I am, because I don't find the Bach pieces particularly fulfilling (and I think they get on Josh's - and the rest of the building's - nerves a bit). But for future pieces, I guess I'll have to make a judgement call. On one hand, it seems silly to learn a piece if you can't perform it for people ... but on the other hand, I'm mainly working through the Bach because it's good technique-building music, not because it's musically satisfying. Thoughts?

Bach - Invention 8 from Bix Bettwy on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment